Tuesday 22 November 2011

More on the Scam Phone Calls

With reference to my earlier post one of our club members has been in touch to let me know of his experience:


I've just read your Blog.    I had such a call about two months ago. As it happened my computer had been running very slowly for a while and Bryan had been to fix it.   
 
The call came at 8am when I was still in bed. They told me that they were Microsoft (R & D sticks in my mind) and that my computer was in danger of crashing and that I should go to it and they would talk me through it. I told the caller (Indian I think ) that I couldn't do that at the time and he said he would call back. A couple of hours later I rang Bryan and he advised me to have nothing to do with them..I had another call from them the next day. I could only hear odd bits of what the caller was saying and I said so. Another person came on the line and I told him that I wasn't interested so he said he would hand over to the Senior Floor Manager. She more or less repeated what had been said before; that I had downloaded some programs that had infected the computer and it was going to crash. I asked how they knew but I don't remember being told. In the end she said, "Well it's your computer. Have a nice day and keep smiling."
 
I've heard nothing from them since then.    It certainly pays to be very cautious and have a suspicious mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment