Sunday 23 January 2011

Vivian Maier

I have just been reading the amazing story about a previously unheard of photographer, Vivian Maier. She worked for most of her life working as a children's nanny for wealthy families in Chicago and spent her spare time photographing life on the streets of the city between the 1950s and 1990s. She shared her pictures with no one but after she died in 2009, her work was discovered in an auction. It is estimated that there are around 100,000 negatives, many of which are still undeveloped. In my opinion, she will eventually be recognised as one of the major photographers of the 20th century on a par with the likes of Cartier Bresson. See what you think by clicking on http://vivianmaier.blogspot.com/ and I would particularly commend the video of "Chicago Tonight" link on that site.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks John for pointing us towards Vivian Maier. You've just stopped me doing what I set out to do but it was well worthwhile. It's a fascinating story and there are excellent images on the links I've seen so far.

    ReplyDelete